LED Mini Maglite

Here you can post tips, help others with sources of information, places to buy stuff etc.

Moderator: Fawteen

Fawteen

LED Mini Maglite

Post by Fawteen » Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:19 pm

I've had a "regular" mini-mag, light level was okay at best, with new batteries, and it flat ATE batteries. So much so, in fact, that I quit using it because it was always dead when I needed it.

Decided to take a chance on the LED version. Haven't had it long enough to get a feel for battery life, but the light level is AMAZING. As much as my Double-D full size!

So far, I'm impressed.

Fawteen

Post by Fawteen » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:48 pm

Update: I threw away my LED Mini-maglight. It had always been somewhat intermittent, and got steadily worse to the point where I couldn't get the thing to stay on for more than a couple seconds at a time.

I had a good look at the light socket/lens/switch assembly, and there is some sort of circuit board (probably an electronic LED driver) that had come adrift. As with most things these days, cheaper to replace than to fix, so I tossed it.

Replaced it with a "LED Lenser" from Home Depot. 6 LED's very bright, on-off pushbutton instead of twisting the lens cap, and selectable between white and red light. So far, I'm happy. I'll get back to you on durability and battery life after a suitable test period.

TB

Post by TB » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:04 pm

I have been using the little 9 led lights from advanced auto 2 for $5 has been working very well for me. I have found if I take the top off and push the and push the lenze in and put a little supper glue around the edge thay seem to be quit trouble free. I guess there just pressed together and works loose. finding them when I need one seems to be a problem though. :o lol
A clean workbench is an invitation for disaster.

nudderon

Re:

Post by nudderon » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:50 pm

Fawteen wrote:Update: I threw away my LED Mini-maglight. It had always been somewhat intermittent, and got steadily worse to the point where I couldn't get the thing to stay on for more than a couple seconds at a time.

I had a good look at the light socket/lens/switch assembly, and there is some sort of circuit board (probably an electronic LED driver) that had come adrift. As with most things these days, cheaper to replace than to fix, so I tossed it.

Replaced it with a "LED Lenser" from Home Depot. 6 LED's very bright, on-off pushbutton instead of twisting the lens cap, and selectable between white and red light. So far, I'm happy. I'll get back to you on durability and battery life after a suitable test period.
Somebody could be a millionaire if they could come up with an absolutely positively dead reliable FLASHLIGHT SWITCH ........
Staying on the very trailing EDGE of technology.