Drippy Gutters

Here you can post tips, help others with sources of information, places to buy stuff etc.

Moderator: Fawteen

Fawteen

Drippy Gutters

Post by Fawteen » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:37 am

I have always been aggravated by the fact that water invariably gets between the inside edge of my plastic (Plastmo) gutters and drips on my haid when going under via doorways or whatever.

This is the accepted way to install roofing, dripedge and gutter. Dripedge is supposed to divert water from running down the fascia board behind the gutter. For whatever reason, it doesn't. Gutter is spaced away from the fascia board by the clips used to mount it.

Having just completely rebuilt the front shed entry to my house, I was SERIOUSLY aggravated by this continuing problem. Go out the front door, and the water sneaking past the drip edge and down the fascia would rain all over ya.

Finally occurred to me that a piece of brick mold flashing tucked behind the drip edge and over the top of the gutter should cure that problem.

Brick mold flashing (the green line in the illustration) is intended to go over the top of a pre-hung door to keep water from getting behind the exterior door molding and comes in various widths. I used 1-1/8" and just tucked it up under as shown. Raining cats and other small mammals at the moment, and not a drip.

WooHoo!
What do you mean I can't do that?

Ron/PA

Re: Drippy Gutters

Post by Ron/PA » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:39 pm

How far out does that protrude?

I'm fighting the same problem.
We don't rent pigs.

Fawteen

Post by Fawteen » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:22 pm

With my Plastmo plastic gutters, 1-1/8" brickmold flashing tucks up behind the dripedge and just nicely hangs over the inside of the gutter edge.

Dieselrider

Post by Dieselrider » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:12 am

Just a note to those who put these posts up and then later delete their photos from photo bucket or other sites. This makes the photos disappear here too. Those of us too slow to keep up are left in the dark-again.
If it was easy, anyone could do it!

Fawteen

Post by Fawteen » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:19 pm

Oops...Lemme see if I can fix dat...

Fawteen

Post by Fawteen » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:35 pm

Got errors when trying to edit original post (too old, I suspect) so reposting:

I have always been aggravated by the fact that water invariably gets between the inside edge of my plastic (Plastmo) gutters and drips on my haid when going under via doorways or whatever.

On the left is the accepted way to install roofing, dripedge and gutter. Dripedge is supposed to divert water from running down the fascia board behind the gutter. For whatever reason, it doesn't. Gutter is spaced away from the fascia board by the clips used to mount it.

Having just completely rebuilt the front shed entry to my house, I was SERIOUSLY aggravated by this continuing problem. Go out the front door, and the water sneaking past the drip edge and down the fascia would rain all over ya.

Finally occurred to me that a piece of brick mold flashing tucked behind the drip edge and over the top of the gutter should cure that problem.

Brick mold flashing (the blue line in the right-hand illustration) is intended to go over the top of a pre-hung door to keep water from getting behind the exterior door molding and comes in various widths. I used 1-1/8" and just tucked it up under as shown. Raining cats and other small mammals at the moment, and not a drip.

WooHoo!