Cordless Drills

Here you can post tips, help others with sources of information, places to buy stuff etc.

Moderator: Fawteen

Fawteen

Cordless Drills

Post by Fawteen » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:23 am

A topic that's been beat to death on every even remotely tool-related board on the Web...

My DeCrap finally ticked me off enough that I slam-dunked it into the trash can. Three times.

ANY-way, I'm in the market for a new one. All I need is 14.4 or better on the voltage and Variable Speed Reversable. Don't need torque clutch or hammer action and I'd like to stay as close to $100 as possible. Less would be better, but I don't plan on going too far in the $40 Harbor Fright/Crapese direction either. It'll get used mostly for driving sheetrock screws and drilling holes in wood.

There WILL NOT be another DeCrap (Dewalt) cordless in my shop. I've only ever had problems with one of their corded tools (a chop saw) but every single battery powered tool I've owned from them has been junk. At the moment, I'm thinking Ryobi, but I'm open to suggestions based on experience.
What do you mean I can't do that?

glensts

Re: Cordless Drills

Post by glensts » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:46 am

My experiences with cordless are as follow, Craftsman, 9 or 10 years out of the last one but it was 12.6 I think, then went to 19.2. Bought the 19,2 in the U.S. about 6 years ago and it is treating me very well.
I don't buy the lithium ion ones either because they are all worth the same amount when they fall 12 feet off of a grain trailer.
I also use a cordless impact and the only one that had the 1/2" square on the end at the time is made by Canadian Tire.
Here is the link to the one that replaced my model.

http://reviews.canadiantire.ca/9045/054 ... eviews.htm

The batteries don't last near as long as the crafstman seem to, as in 3 years i'll throw the battery in the bush.
But they were on for $100 and I purchased 3 of them, now on the last one but have 6 batteries :mrgreen:

Had some cordless Milwaukee products in the shop for a bit and wasn't happy with the battery life so returned them. They were Lithium ion.
I have no lithium ion battery products yet so maybe I had a bad one but will wait till the price comes down and have no other option.

If Craftsman makes me a 1/2 inch cordless impact when I need to replace mine, I probably will go with it. Just because I have good luck with them too.

TB

Post by TB » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:56 am

Ok How it works as explained to me. The cordless tool companies are not in the bizness to sell cordless tools, ware thay make there money is selling batteries and chargers Often You can find small combo sets for little more than what a charger and battery will cost. Craftman is good, I have a 14.4 V Milwaukee drill and flashlight set.

Batteries will go bad from not being used. The work flashlight is the most used flashlight I own. Plus with using the batteries seems to make them last longer I think.

So look for the deals ware you get one or two tools with two batteries and a charger. Then look for compatable battery tool set ware you get two batteries and a charger.

Did I mention I think The work flashlight that takes my cordless drill battery is
the slickest thing science snot on a doorknob :lol:

Now at work we seem to have been having some good luck with Porter cable cordless drills
A clean workbench is an invitation for disaster.

Russ/ks

Post by Russ/ks » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:01 pm

The wife bought me a black and decker cordless set on sale a couple of years ago, and immediately i thought it wouldn't last. Been puttin up tin with the drill ever since, even bought an extra battery so i can stay up top longer. I'm happy, and saved some bucks. Lost the flashlight, it was good too, and a 50 dollar battery with it. :x
Support your local shadetree mechanic.
Crime and ranchin doesn't pay.
Lubrication is cheaper than machinery.
Will pitch bundles for food or beer/ horseshoeing for cash, only.
Hopeless optimist.

hansen

Post by hansen » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:35 pm

I bought the new Makita Lithium Ion 18 volt with the impact wrench. Lightweight as heck. Charges fast. A bit on the pricey side. I really like it though.

Fawteen

Post by Fawteen » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:57 pm

I wound up getting a 12V Ryobi with Lithium baddrys. Selling point was price ($80) and weight. Looked at a 18V kit with a flashlight for not much more money, but DANG that thing was heavy!

I'll let ya know how it works out.
What do you mean I can't do that?