Figuring acreage

Here you can post tips, help others with sources of information, places to buy stuff etc.

Moderator: Fawteen

Ron/PA

Figuring acreage

Post by Ron/PA » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:07 am

I have a rough time figuring acreage in my fields. I've tried range finders from hunters, and walking it off by steps to no avail. I don't have a wheel, and when I try to borrow one, they're always in use.

Last week I cashed in a few coupons and some fuel points and got a Garmin GPS system. Lo and behold that will pinpoint your latitude and longitude on the screen. If I write that down, then bring up Google earth on the computer, I can match those readings, then use their ruler function to give me linear footage.

A couple lines, and some multiplication and division and I've found a pretty accurate way to figure area in a field.

Probably old hat for others here, but it tickled me just to find a new way to use some old tools.

Ron
We don't rent pigs.

Russ/ks

Re: Figuring acreage

Post by Russ/ks » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:04 am

That's interesting, thanks. We always used a half rod walker, but that should be wayy easier.
Support your local shadetree mechanic.
Crime and ranchin doesn't pay.
Lubrication is cheaper than machinery.
Will pitch bundles for food or beer/ horseshoeing for cash, only.
Hopeless optimist.

TB

Post by TB » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:37 pm

I have a GPS also a Garmin Etrex, and a Topographic program on my computer.
I can take way points at different points around a field and download them into my computer and using a connect the dot sort of method it will give me all that information within the closed loop.
A clean workbench is an invitation for disaster.

Ron/PA

Post by Ron/PA » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:20 am

What topo program do you have?

I still haven't read all the fine print on my Garmin 205 but I know I might need to get a USB cable.

I'd be real interested in doing just what you talked about, since I have some odd shaped fields.

Ron
We don't rent pigs.

TB

Post by TB » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:07 pm

Terrain Navigator from Maptech. Its a rather old program I am sure there is a better version by now.

Yes you will need a USB cable. I got my cable from gpscity.com Thay have a wide verity of ad dons for a lot of GPS's. I also use it for upgrading my GPS's Software. that made it much more accurate. Hope you can find what you need.

TB

Post by TB » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:23 pm

Just thought of something. You being a code officer You would have a greater use for the pro version rather than the standard version like I have. It has all the bells and whistles GIS compatible to a lot of county maps. CAD ready etc etc That mine doesn't. I think you would have a very good need for that program as a very useful tool to a person in your position. Maybe the Burrow or whatever should think about getting it for you. I think you need it :mrgreen: Maybe, maybe not? :o most Countys has there own program thay want you to buy?

Standard version
http://www.gpsnow.com/Terrain_Navigator ... dition.htm

Pro version
http://www.gpsnow.com/Terrain_Navigator ... lvania.htm

Make sure you check out compatibility with your GPS. And if you go with the pro version check compatibility with your county GIS office also.

Dieselrider

Post by Dieselrider » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:31 pm

For the folks in PA that have property, there is a site called PA one stop that will allow you to draw and edit fields on an aerial view of your property. It will calculate the acreage for you and you can save the information in your account there. It can be quite helpful. I do not know if other states offer anything like this or not.
If it was easy, anyone could do it!