ATF and acetone

Here you can post tips, help others with sources of information, places to buy stuff etc.

Moderator: Fawteen

Fawteen

ATF and acetone

Postby Fawteen » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:28 am

I've seen bunches of references to this magic juice, almost universally positive.

I've always had decent success with PB Blaster so never got around to trying it.

Until now.

Working on a well-used Honda TRX400 4 wheeler. Rear axle, sprocket, bearings, and hubs worn slap out.

It's a solid axle, bearing carrier is an aluminum eccentric mounted in an aluminum swingarm housing. To adjust the chain tension, you loosen 4 mild steel pinch bolts in the aluminum swingarm and rotate the eccentric.

3 came out with a reasonable amount of fussing and a little PB Blaster.

4th wasn't having any. Couple of days of Blaster, heat, percussion, vibrating it with my battery impact and copious amounts of verbal lubrication...all to no avail. Absolutely zero perceptible progress.

Mixed up a 50/50 batch of ATF and acetone, shook it up good and douched the fastener and general vicinity liberally. Repeated about 4 hours later. About 2 hours after that, tried it with an allen wrench and it turned quite easily. Hit it with the baddry impact and it spun right out.

Given the speed with which acetone evaporates, I don't think I'll try to keep a batch on hand, but I'll certainly keep the ingredients handy and mix up a small batch when called for.

If you haven't tried it, I think you'll be impressed with the results.
What do you mean I can't do that?

NoahW

Re: ATF and acetone

Postby NoahW » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:51 pm

Boys over on YT been cussin' and discussin' the merits of that mix for years. Half of 'em swear by it, the other third swear that it ain't no better than Kroil or PB. Finally mixed up a batch for myself and I'm in the swear by it half. It is one of the best penetrants I have ever used. I keep a can of each on hand and mix it up whenever I need to.

Noah W

Fawteen

Re: ATF and acetone

Postby Fawteen » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:55 pm

I have heard (and we all know how reliable that is...) that Kroil is basically the same mixture. Not sure how they keep it in suspension tho.

And the home brew is MUCH cheaper!

There's also a huge following for a gun cleaning mixture called Ed's Red, which is acetone, atf and kerosene in equal proportions. Supposed to be the bomb for cleaning barrels with lead fouling.
What do you mean I can't do that?

Return to “Tips and Sources”