Dump Trailer - Mark 1 Mod 1

Here we discuss projects and post pictures of projects

Moderator: Fawteen

Fawteen

Dump Trailer - Mark 1 Mod 1

Postby Fawteen » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:37 pm

Some of you may recall I built a hydraulic dump trailer using a gas engine powered pump a few years back.

Details and Pictures Here

While it was generally useful it was limited in lift capacity due to poor geometry and an undersized cylinder. I've contemplated building a scissors hoist for years but didn't have an example to work from and wasn't confident that I could come up with a workable design on my own.

After asking around and doing a lot of surfing, I finally bit the bullet and bought a set of plans from

These Folks

With a set of plans to work from, I bought $100 worth of steel to cover what I couldn't scrounge up from my stash, and spent another $150 at Tractor Supply for a cylinder and some hardware. Caught a 15% off for Veterans sale over Veteran's Day weekend, so that helped.

Here's the majority of the fussy bits cut to shape and holes bored in the appropriate places.

The frame and cylinder pivot for the lower half of the hoist mostly welded up. Had to run all over Eastern Maine to find an inch-and-a-quarter by 12 TPI nut. It gets welded to the pivot and the ram on the cylinder screws into it. On the right is the beginnings of the cylinder attachment point for the upper half of the scissors.

Lower and upper scissor assemblies all welded up. Last fabrication bit is to finish up the pivot to mount the lower part to the frame of the trailer.

After that, I'll assemble the scissors and cylinder and get some final measurements.

Then I get to crawl under the trailer with a measuring tape and decide where/how to mount the scissors.
What do you mean I can't do that?

Fawteen

Re: Dump Trailer - Mark 1 Mod 1

Postby Fawteen » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:26 pm

Lower pivot finished up this morning, made the pin for mounting the cylinder and assembled the hoist. Everything lined up and the action is smooth with no sticking points. Whew!

Hoist measures 4-1/2 inches between upper and lower mounting bolts when closed, 39 inches when open. I was a little concerned because the plans spec'd a 10 inch stroke on the cylinder, but I went with an 8 inch cuz that's what was available locally.

When I first started dubbing around with this idea, I determined that 36" of lift would be adequate, so 39" is perfect.

So now on to figuring out the mounts on the trailer.

Grove r

Postby Grove r » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:30 pm

Looking good, Paul, have need of the same type of lift for the Autocar s bale deck. May or may not be able to use the same configuration.....would surely like to......next option is to use a telescoping cylender near the rear of the cab, have access to one off a gravel box....will be watching for your posts on this with bated breath.....lol

have a good one,
Ron.E.

Fawteen

Postby Fawteen » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:24 pm

Pulled the body off the trailer, cut away all the old lift system.

Fabbed and installed a new cross member with the lower scissors mounting point.

Hung the scissors off the lower mount.

I'll have to block it in place while I reinstall the body and determine the final position of the upper scissors mount.

Fawteen

Postby Fawteen » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:33 pm

It works!

Put 4 scoops of heavy, wet compost right in the front of the trailer where it'd be the hardest to lift and it picked it right up at an idle. The other system would never have touched it.

A hair under $350 for steel, hardware, hoses/fittings and cut-off wheels. Didn't keep track, but maybe 30 hours of shop time. At least 6 of that was pulling the bed off the trailer, cutting all the old crap off and figuring out the new mounts.

Not real proud of a couple of the welds. Welding overhead while bent over backwards under a lifted body when I can't see the dang puddle is not my strong suit. My mantra of "if you can't weld good, weld lots" must've worked as the upper mounts stayed put while lifting that load.

Return to “Shop Projects”