Lawn Roller Project

Here we discuss projects and post pictures of projects

Moderator: Fawteen

Fawteen

Lawn Roller Project

Postby Fawteen » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:43 am

I have an old 100# propane tank that's been laying on it's side with the valve removed for a year or more. Originally thought to scrap it, but then I got to thinking it'd make a pretty decent lawn roller if filled with water.

Rigging an axle for the bottom of the tank wasn't too complex, just had the steel shop cut me a disc of the appropriate size, welded a piece of 7/8 round stock in the center with a black iron floor flange for reinforcement.

An axle for the valve end took a bit more thinking. Made a hub of sorts by welding another floor flange to a short piece of 3" pipe, then welded the round stock into the valve boss, slipped the hub down over it, and welded the 3" pipe to the top of the tank and laid a bead around the round stock on top of the flange.

Thinking about it, I might should have done the same thing on the bottom for more support. If it cracks, I will.

Made a hole in the top as a fill port. Now I'm waiting on a weldable bung and some pillow block bearings from Surplus Center before I start fabbing up a hitch. I'll use some 1-1/2" square stock for that, I've got plenty laying around.
What do you mean I can't do that?

Gerrit

Re: Lawn Roller Project

Postby Gerrit » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:01 pm

I had something similar made back in Germany.
Where I lived I needed to roll the yard ( >10 acre) every spring.
The local fabricating guys made me one to be pulled by my single axle tractor.
The added fill openings so I could fill the roller with water to add weight and also a seat to add even more weight (a lot actually :mrgreen:). Worked like charm!

Gerrit

Postby Gerrit » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:05 pm

My neighbor who had some more land did it like this:

Fawteen

Postby Fawteen » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:58 am

I like that second one, but I'd have to rent more ground to turn it around! :mrgreen:

Mine is intended to roll freshly-seeded dirt to ensure good seed-to-soil contact. It won't be heavy enough to flatten anything much more rugged than a mole run.

I may add a rack on the top for cement blocks if needed.

Fawteen

Postby Fawteen » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:01 pm

Basically finished. Did the math, the cylinder holds about 24 gallons of water for around 200 pounds of weight, plus the steel of course. Given the area, that ain't much so I'll likely add the rack on the top for more weight. I left the sides of the frame long for just that reason.

Got a couple of leaks where I welded the bung in, I'll have to fix that, and need to cut the axles off. Left them long until I was sure everything was gonna line up.

Other than that I'm done.

Gerrit

Postby Gerrit » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:50 pm

Looks pretty good!

Return to “Shop Projects”