Latest Project

Here we discuss projects and post pictures of projects

Moderator: Fawteen

Fawteen

Latest Project

Postby Fawteen » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:29 pm

I've wanted a metal cutting bandsaw for a while now. I don't have the shop space (or the money) for a big horizontal saw so I thought porta-band would be the next best thing.

Looked around a little and got a nice corded Milwaukee Deep Cut for a decent price.

Also been surfing Ewe Toob looking at various shopbuilt tables for porta-bands that allows you to use them in the vertical mode and add a small table for cutting small parts, which is the main reason I wanted one anyway. I have a big abrasive chop saw for cutting the big stuff, what I wanted was something to work with sheet metal and light plate.

So I stole ideas from a half-dozen approaches to the problem and mocked up my version in wood to make sure it was practical. After a couple of minor modifications to get the dimensions right, I had a workable design, so I went ahead and made a finished version in metal.

Here's all the pieces cut out and ready for welding together. The base plate and table are 3/16ths black iron, the main mast and table pedestal are 1-1/2 by 1/4 square tubing (overkill, but it's what I had laying around) the brackets that cradle the handle are 16ga sheet metal, and the curved piece for the bottom of the main cradle is a piece of 1-1/2 x 1/8 flat stock. The 1x1 square tubing is for the feet and the telescoping portion of the table.

I cut a pattern for the rear handle cradle out of 2x4 on the band saw and bent the flat stock to match and then tacked it to one of the sheet metal sides.

Then I sandwiched the rear mast between the two sides of the bottom cradle and tacked everything in place. The little piece of 1x1 at an angle sits under the rear drive wheel housing of the saw. The forked bit on top of the rear mast cradles the front handle.

Seeing as the saw doesn't have a way to lock the switch in the on position for safety reasons, I rigged a switched outlet on the base to turn the saw on and off with rather than plugging/unplugging it. A short piece of dowel jams the switch in the on position.

The table will adjust up and down a bit, but I think it works best of it sits right on the backstop of the saw as it helps hold the saw steady. The table pedestal is drilled and tapped 1/4-20 for two thumb screws to hold the table in place. Taking the table off makes it very simple to set the saw in the holder or take it out.
What do you mean I can't do that?

curtludwig

Re: Latest Project

Postby curtludwig » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:17 am

Looks real nice. I've watched Jimmy Diresta on Youtube use one of those for some time now and thought it would be real handy.

hansen

Re: Latest Project

Postby hansen » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:06 pm

Bee yoo ti ful. Clever, too.

Return to “Shop Projects”