It's that time again...

Here we discuss projects and post pictures of projects

Moderator: Fawteen

Fawteen

It's that time again...

Postby Fawteen » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:18 pm

Dug the blowsnower out of the back of the barn and got everything hooked up.

It's even mostly frozen this year, so blowing mud won't be such an issue.

However, the one driveway I contract for is that stinkin' crushed stone and that stuff NEVER freezes down. Best you can do is leave a skim coat of snow on it and hope that freezes. Last year I tried to keep the blower a couple of inches off the surface with the 3 point hitch. My success rate was...ummmmm....variable. Folks that own the place were a mite peeved with me over all the stone that got blown into the grass.

So this year I'm building a set of skids for it to keep it off the ground no matter what.

I built a pair of these brackets out of 1-1/2" square tubing

and slipped them over the existing skids, marked and drilled some mounting holes and

bolted them to the sides of the blower with spacers between the mounting ears and the blower sides to keep things squared up.

Welded some 3" strap stock to the bottom of the square tubing with the front edge turned up at about a 45° angle to act as the actual skids.
What do you mean I can't do that?

GLyford

Re: It's that time again...

Postby GLyford » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:40 pm

I'd be tempted to put an angled piece in the back too because sure as shootin' I'd forget to pick it up and leave drag marks all over...

Fawteen

Postby Fawteen » Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:09 am

Good point.

It's also been pointed out that the skid should be thicker as it'll wear pretty fast.

Perhaps what I'll do is sandwich another piece on there with the "toe" on the rear.

curtludwig

Postby curtludwig » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:45 am

Nifty.

This year when I dug out my 'thrower it wouldn't start, and wouldn't start, and wouldn't start. I got digging into the carb, no gas, pulled the line to the tank, no gas.

Finally found the shutoff I'd installed last year which was, of course, shut off. Once I turned the gas on it fired right up.

GLyford

Postby GLyford » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:47 pm

How's it holding up with "Stella" cleanup?

Fawteen

Postby Fawteen » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:51 am

GLyford wrote:How's it holding up with "Stella" cleanup?

Pretty much a bust here. Changed over to sleet/rain just about dark.

Don't know how much snow we started with but after the rain we wound up with about 4-6" of heavy wet slop.

I just cleared out the berms the town plow left and I'll let Mother Nature take care of the rest.

Skids have been working great. Not that thrilled with leaving 2" of rutted snow and wheel tracks everywhere, but haven't had any problems at all with the crushed stone driveway.

curtludwig

Postby curtludwig » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:13 pm

Weird storm...
I was in California but Angie says we got around 14" of heavy wet yecch. She got enough of it moved that it was no problem. We did get to go snowmobiling one last time on Sunday which was nice. If I'd been here I'd have been out every night.

Return to “Shop Projects”