Question re: Sicklebar mowers

Here we discuss projects and post pictures of projects

Moderator: Fawteen

Fawteen

Question re: Sicklebar mowers

Postby Fawteen » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:33 am

I'm in the "back of a napkin" stage of birthing an idea.

What would you think would be the optimum speed for driving a sicklebar, in terms of reciprocations per minute.

I know most of them are driven at 540 RPM PTO speed but I seem to recall a step-down pulley (or maybe step-up) between the PTO shaft and the Pitman drive.
What do you mean I can't do that?

GLyford

Re: Question re: Sicklebar mowers

Postby GLyford » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:36 pm

Allis Chalmers B uses a slight speed up pulley set on the mid mount, but then I've never heard of anyone running those at full PTO rpm either, since it is a non-live PTO.

Or that might have just been us since we were edging with ours, decades ago, not simply straight mowing a plain field. We had to watch for rocks and stumps and a stuff "stored" in the weeds and trying to figure out where the drop-off for the drainage ditch started. A swath somewhere between 2 and 5 passes wide, depending where you were around the pond and garden. That PTO made it a pain to unclog the cutter bar since you had to figure whether you wanted either the trans or the PTO or both or neither to be going when you let out the clutch, and getting it wrong got you either a worse clog or broken parts. But the mid mount was nice, you didn't have to watch over your shoulder to see what the cutter bar was doing.

Eugene SWIA

Re: Question re: Sicklebar mowers

Postby Eugene SWIA » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:17 am

I have a 100 series IH mower. The drive pulley is 12'' (540 rpm). The driven pulley is 6''. The sickle cycles 2 times for 1 revolution of the 12'' pulley. Let's what you come up with. I think the newer mowers are probably faster than the old pitman stick type. Gene

Return to “Shop Projects”