Weathervane part du

Here we discuss projects and post pictures of projects

Moderator: Fawteen

hansen

Weathervane part du

Post by hansen » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:25 am

Well, out of sheer boredom, I decided to make another weathervane for a friend. My ideas never look the same at the finish, but sometimes dumb luck wins.
I made the "body" from copper tube bent in a circle, then smashed a bit to make it oblong. It was a bugger soldering the rings together. Then I formed the wings and were soldering them on and the tubing got too hot and the butt fell off. So on it went until I got the whole thing into one piece.
Anyway, I need to form the letters. I used thinner copper sheet this time so I could cut it with snips, but it's still giving me blisters!

Fawteen

Re: Weathervane part du

Post by Fawteen » Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:51 am

Neat!

I like your sawhorse/clamp dealy too. Might have to look into one of those.

On the soldering, do you heat-sink the finished joints before starting another?

Also, at the risk of being obvious, work from biggest joint to smallest and a lot of heat quickly is better than too little for too long.
What do you mean I can't do that?

hansen

Post by hansen » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:31 am

Rockwell Jawhorse. Really neat tool. Accessory is the welding jig that comes with metal jaws, but I did not use them here.
I did not use a heat sink. Not that smart.... I just started soldering stuff together. There was no actual "plan". Kind of a wonder I got the whole thing together.

hansen

Post by hansen » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:04 pm

Here is the finished product. I kept the lower part pretty simple.

Note the thermometer. I may take it back. Dang thing reads low....
image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.