'52 Farmall Super M starter fun

Here we discuss projects and post pictures of projects

Moderator: Fawteen

curtludwig

'52 Farmall Super M starter fun

Postby curtludwig » Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:24 pm

I hadta tell you guys about this one. Dad put a new/rebuilt starter in the Super M last year, it worked for about 3 starts and then locked up solid. Took it apart and, well you can imagine the story; new guy at the rebuild shop, they tell him "put a drop of Locktite on that bushing when you install it" but they never told him where on the bushing. That bushing was glued right to the shaft. Came apart with a little heat and the starter works perfectly now.

We've also done a 12v conversion and BOY is that tractor easier to live with than it used to be...

hansen

Re: '52 Farmall Super M starter fun

Postby hansen » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:04 pm

That is hilarious.

Fawteen

Postby Fawteen » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:16 am

Glad ta hear Big Red is still pulling her weight!

12V conversions are popular for a very good reason, never understood the folks that get all pissy about it.
What do you mean I can't do that?

curtludwig

Postby curtludwig » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:38 pm

I wanted to do a good job with it so had to look around to find an alternator that would fit under the hood unobtrusively. Dad bought the Yesterday's tractors kit. The bracket is good, the tensioner arm is terrible. I ended up grinding a bunch off the stock arm to make it work.

Next step is electronic ignition and a real 12v coil to replace the 6v and the resistor pack. The pack gets REALLY hot...

Dad has been mowing with it all summer and says it works real good. I'm glad, we'd had a bunch of problems and the place and grown in badly.

Return to “Shop Projects”