MF 4800 series

Here we discuss projects and post pictures of projects

Moderator: Fawteen

Grove r

MF 4800 series

Postby Grove r » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:38 pm

Was wondering if anyone on this forum is familiar with this series of tractor, built back in the 70's and 80's I believe. Starts out at 225 HP up to 375 HP. From the info I have, believe that all four of these units were built on the same platform, ie, same tranny differentials, etc, same motor on all four, Cummins V903, ranging from naturally aspirated to turboed on the last two. Question being to put a four hundred HP Cat six cylender in a 4840 which has 265 HP. If all things being equal, would only be gaining twenty five HP on this platform against the larger 4900......??? Fell heir to another one, a 4800, sans motor, may have a line on a Cat 3208 for this one. The 4840 still has a functioning V903, but the cat six has reared it's ugly head and hate to pass it up when I may need it later!!! Takk in advance,
Ron.E.

GLyford

Re: MF 4800 series

Postby GLyford » Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:19 am

The 3208 was a school bus and medium truck motor that topped out somewhere around 250 hp, and was an 8 cyl., yes? The 3406 was a straight and semi truck motor in the power ranges you are talking about and 6 cyl., so I am guessing that is what you meant.

Beyond that, I have no knowledge of the power capacity of the MFs you are talking about, but you are talking about a 5% difference. I suspect you would be fine. If really worried, I guess you could "detune" the cat a bit, yes? Or you know, just not slam the throttle...

Grove r

Postby Grove r » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:00 pm

Menga takk for the reply, Glyford, greatly appreciated. On the 3208 motor, yes, as I suspected. The one in question is out of a NH combine, so, governor should be intact, The six cylinder is out of a rock truck that met its demise for parts.......and, as you say on the extra power, we are of the mind that the equipment should, and can be, operated with care and knowledge of what is under our butts!!!!!, menga takk for that. Next question being, as the six cylinder is sans governor, is there a belt driven unit that can be adapted for this purpose?? Being mechanicaly challenged makes for some interesting querys, [and also some interesting spelling mistakes]!!!! As we don't need this motor yesterday, it gives us time to adapt to the problems that may/may not arise. Also am going to need a starter for it too, would hope for a twelve volt unit so changing of the charging system will not be needed, hope that I can attain my goal on this. [winter starting is not on the table]!!!! Takk again for any reply,
Ron.E.

Grove r

Postby Grove r » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:58 pm

Hi all, have as of today aquired a second 4306 cat motor from a Kenworth gravel truck, so now have TWO to repower both machines when the Cummins gives up the ghost. Will have to stretch the frames in both units, no big deal, only iron.....should pull the thirty foot breaking disc I purchased last winter, Ezee-on, to be exact. Now am in the market for four tires for the first tractor, will use the four best I have for the outside duals......kinda take the bite out of buying all eight at once ......will take pics of the transformation so I can post them for all to peruse when I am able to do so.......On another note, also aquired an IH TD 182 with dozer and CCU, with miner fixups will go to work in a day or two.....so there you have a progress report from west central Alberta, Canada......

have a good one,
Ron.E.

Fawteen

Postby Fawteen » Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:06 pm

Howdy, Stranger!

Good deal on the tractor and engines. Looking forward to the picture essay!
What do you mean I can't do that?

Grove r

Postby Grove r » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:03 pm

As of today we have the 4306 cat engine bolted into the extended frame of the 4800 MF, now comes all the pluming and electrical supply and demand wires, as well as extending the hood fourteen inches. Also have the cab on the 4840 bolted in place, just have to finish hooking stuff up and reinstall the hood. Pressure washed the second 4306 that will eventually be installed in the 4840 after I give it an overhaul. Will see how the 903 Cummins performs and go from there. Took the hydraulic pump off the TD 182 at the neighbors to replace the seal on the drive end and replace the bearing, here at home....is that puppy ever HUGE, and, heavy too, will paint it IH red as the rest of the unit will be after arrival........ Think that will make it look really super!!!!

end of progress report for now,

have a good one,
Ron.E.

Grove r

Postby Grove r » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:17 pm

Weeeeell......brought the pump for the 182 home and took it apart....whoooeeee..... the pump is shot, and not another in site!!!! Also drained the final drives, one was empty!!!!! put enough diesel in the one to fill it, poured the same in the other one and it hit the ground as fast as we poured it in.....?????? the idea of this was to flush the drives by moving it to be loaded and again parking at home which would not be enough to hurt anything, just a good rinse......so......for the time being.....or not, this unit is a no go 'till we or the owner can find a parts machine for a very reasonable dollar.

on the 4800 Massy......pressure tested the rad and found it to leak where bolted together, top tank to core......no big deal, just take it apart and change the gasket. Took the top tank off and found the tubes to be totally plugged with all sorts of debris. Took the bottom tank off and found a critter nest.....which leads me to believe that this rad sat for some time before it received it's previous engine transplant, that also failed, wonder why?? Using a piece of banding we rodded all the tubes, and boy were they plugged!!!!! Now will wait for warmer weather and give the rad a thorough flush before we put it in the tractor.

On a side note, we found another 3406 truck motor that has app a thousand miles on it, wreck, I suspect, after being overhauled.......four grand.....not too shabby.....will see how the piggy bank rattles....

just a progress report from West Central Alberta,

have a good one,
Ron.E.

Larry806

Postby Larry806 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:48 pm

Good to see ya ! On the rad clean out a dipstick from a Cummins works great to rod out the core . Sounds like your project is about like my Steiger a couple winters ago . Hope yours turns out as well as mine did !
I like to learn from other peoples mistakes , I don't have time to make them all myself .

Grove r

Postby Grove r » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:57 pm

Menga Takk Larry, good to hear from you. Used a piece of 3/4 inch wide banding for the rodding of the rad, near perfect fit. Takk for the idea of the Cummins dipstick, will 'member that for next time. Came close to using the rad out of the Kenworth 'stead of cleaning this one. Would have had to narrow it down six inches, doable, but this is the rad for the tractor.......good you had success with Stieger, hope these puppys turn out good too........

have a good one,
Ron.E.

Grove r

Postby Grove r » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:36 pm

'Nuther progress report from west central.......just got word that I have bought a 1995 Volvo Autocar truck, long wheel base, 3406 cat,425 hp engine with few hours on overhaul, NOT beat up, is an ex water truck that the oldest boy drove for a few years, was took out of service due to the age factor,'bout eight years ago, and has been stored at my my place since...... storage fees was the price plus token cash. That makes three 3406 cat engines on the premises......!!!!!!????? what the....???? Have a bale hauling rack in mind to purchase, has been sitting for several years, has not been used, factory built, depending on the price......may also purchase the rest of the gravel truck that I bought the motor out of last fall for the hoist for the bale rack.....all I see in the future is more work....going to have to clone myself.......soon..... What I like about this unit is NO computer stuff to go south without reason, too old to learn this crap. Would like to make the bale rack and other add ons a roll on system so change over is a mater of minutes and would make the truck a more versatile unit 'stead of sitting in the proverbial fence corner most of the time.

have a good one,
Ron.E.

Grove r

Postby Grove r » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:15 am

Purchased the bale deck I mentioned, will stay where it is till I get the truck home and road worthy, lites and stuff, then will go fetch. Weather has been brutal this winter which equates to nothing done at the shop......need spring......bad.....printer and puter dont like each other anymore, nor does the picture sending thingy work....cant even download pics from camera.....rhubarb, rhubarb, rhubarb........

have a good one,
Ron.E.

Larry806

Postby Larry806 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:20 pm

I have something you might want . I have a Hy pump from a 3306 Cat that was in my Steiger .
Don't know if it will bolt right on one of your Cats ?
I have no use fer it .
I like to learn from other peoples mistakes , I don't have time to make them all myself .

Grove r

Postby Grove r » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:43 pm

Hi Larry, sorry to take so long to get back to you, on the pump, may need it for the Autocar for the bale deck, how much would you want for it?

menga takk,
Ron.E.

Larry806

Postby Larry806 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:58 am

You can have it for the shipping . I'll never have any use for it .

PS real shipping price not that metric stuff all you forenners try to pass off on us unspecten US citizen's :mrgreen: :D !

Grove r

Postby Grove r » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:33 pm

Sorry Larry I don't subscribe to the metric garbage either.....I'll stick with the good ole Imperial system, it works!!!!!!! If you foreigners have phones down there, post the nummer to me in a private message.........

have a good one,
Ron.E.

Return to “Shop Projects”