I actually made something!

Here we discuss projects and post pictures of projects

Moderator: Fawteen

curtludwig

I actually made something!

Postby curtludwig » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:33 pm

I do a lot of fixing, very little actual making.
Before Christmas Angie and I were at the hardware store and one of those contractor tablesaws caught my eye. I've never had a tablesaw and I've been watching a lot of Youtube and seeing all the cool things I could do with one. She got it for me for Christmas and for my first project I ripped some 1" oak into squares and made a frame to fit inside a window frame in our bedroom.
Covered it in plastic and viola!

The idea being to keep more of the heat in the house. I saw the basic design at a greenie weenie festival we went to a couple years ago. I'm pretty pleased with my joinery, it fits pretty darn snug. Theres one tiny little gap in the bottom right corner because we wrapped foam around the outside instead of cutting it square. This one is a test, our bedroom is the farthest from the heat, if this makes a significant difference I'll make some more. We've got pretty good vinyl windows but every little bit helps. Angie bought some "thermal drapes" which do seem to make a little difference too.

National Weather Service says single digit temps tomorrow night so it'll get a good trial.

Fawteen

Re: I actually made something!

Postby Fawteen » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:38 am

Welcome to the Wonderful World of Woodworking!

You'll be amazed at just how much a basic table saw improves your results.

Love that heat-shrink window plastic too, used to use a bunch of it every fall until I put new windows in the house.
What do you mean I can't do that?

curtludwig

Postby curtludwig » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:05 pm

We lived in an apartment where the plastic was a requirement, the windows rattled in the frames so bad they'd keep you up nights. The landlord paid the heat and I can't believe he never put in new windows. In the winter you could have the heat all the way up and freeze.

Initial results are good, its noticeably warmer in our bedroom. I think I need to pull the trim off the window and stuff some insulation in there. At any rate its good enough I'll assemble the other frame and if we get a warm day (yeah right) rip some material for two more.

Dieselrider

Postby Dieselrider » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:30 am

You did good on the window frames. Table saw is one handy tool for sure.
If it was easy, anyone could do it!

Return to “Shop Projects”