Winter Project, Version 2

Here we discuss projects and post pictures of projects

Moderator: Fawteen

Fawteen

Re: Winter Project, Version 2

Postby Fawteen » Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:38 pm

We're supposed to get our first snow Tuesday - either 5-8 or 8-12 inches, depending on who you believe.

'bout time...
What do you mean I can't do that?

Fawteen

Postby Fawteen » Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:20 pm

It's ALIVE...sort of...

Got antsy and took the bike off the hoist, put the exhaust back on (what a PITA that was...) rigged up a gravity feed gas supply and attempted to start it.

Good news is, it started and ran on all three and took throttle nicely.

Bad news is it'll only do that if I squirt gas into the carb throats. I'm guessing I screwed up the float settings as I cracked the bowl drains and I AM getting gas into the carbs.

Got a new throttle cable and air box coming anyway so I'll pop the carbs back off and have another look at things.

Fawteen

Postby Fawteen » Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:43 pm

Third time is the charm. Took the carbs off again, triple-checked the float height, cleaned a little aluminum oxidation out of the center carb, blew carb cleaner through all the passages again, put 'em back on.

Cranked a little and it started!

Doesn't want to idle very well but there's no point in tweaking carb adjustments until I get the new airbox and throttle cables in.

Nice to know that it runs tho.

Fawteen

Postby Fawteen » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:03 pm

New airbox and throttle cables on. The extra restriction of the airbox and filters improved carburetion greatly, actually started without squirting gas into the carbs.

Still not idling well, part of that is probably because it was running on both premix AND oil injection until such time as I'm sure the oil injection pump is working and adjusted properly.

I dumped the pre-mix and put straight gas in the temporary tank and it doesen't smoke as much and seems to run cleaner. I need to run it a while to get all the premix out of the system and let the plugs clean themselves and then dick with the carb settings a little.

I was a little worried about how hard it was to start (can be a sign of bad cranks seals...$$$) but it starts pretty good now so I'll move on to the next step.

Fawteen

Postby Fawteen » Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:30 am

Finally time for an update.

My attempt at making/upholstering my own seat was a total failure. Really, REALLY bad. Put the oooo in oogly.

So I sprung for a custom cafe'-type seat with a fiberglass base and a nice pad and mounted that. Wasn't a complete shot in the dark, another feller had done it and I really liked the look, just didn't want to spend the money. Glad I did now.

Had to reconfigure the tail light mount too which left me with three extra holes in the rear fender, I'll have to figure a way to fix that too. Overall, I'm very happy.

The seat base will be painted to match the rest of the bike as soon as the weather warms up enough, then I'll hit all the color with a coat of fuel resistant 2-part clear coat.

Fawteen

Postby Fawteen » Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:30 pm

Feller on the Suzuki board was kind enough to point out that I had the muffler hangars on the wrong side of the mount.

Doh.

Does look better with them tucked in properly...

Fawteen

Postby Fawteen » Tue May 03, 2016 5:00 pm

It's ALIVE! Just back from a little road test. Runs good, quite strong at full throttle. One cylinder tends to drop out at light cruise, several possibilities as to why, that'll bear some investigation. To a certain extent, that's a "feature" of multi-cylinder 2 strokes.

Smoking cleared up and it burns pretty clean. While I was initially starting it, I used pre-mix in the tank as well as the oil injection until I was reasonably sure the oil injection was working. Wife was pretty impressed with the mosquito-fogging effect when it first started.

A little more serious issue is that after 5-6 miles and getting warmed up really well, it wants to rev WAY up in neutral. Doesn't appear to be a linkage issue, more likely an air leak. REALLY hoping it's not a crank seal issue, that's an expensive fix.

But, it does run and ride. Handles much lighter than the Yamaha, pretty quick when it's on the pipe.

Few little finishing touches left, front fender and tank badges and the front forks are still a little sloppy, I think a bit more fork oil will help.

Fawteen

Postby Fawteen » Thu May 12, 2016 3:14 pm

Hadda go to the bank and seeing at we have just had our first Official 70° Day, I decided to take the bike. Suited up, got out to the garage and got to looking at the Suzuki. It's done, licensed and insured, but due to the temporary lack of a front fender (being built as I type...) it doesn't have an inspection sticker.

Decided to take a ride on the wild side and take the Suzuki anyway, being the scofflaw that I am.

Dang that little sucker is fun to ride. Much more nimble than the Yamaha, and cruised very comfortably at 70mph. The gearing on the Yam is such that it will loaf along all day at 55, doesn't mind the occasional blast up to 65 but much above that the vibration will put yer butt to sleep.

Suspension feels a little funny, need to lighten the preload on the shocks and add a little to the forks I think. Getting a "clunk" when they unload over the crest of a hill. May need to snug up the steering head bearings a tad too.

curtludwig

Postby curtludwig » Thu May 19, 2016 4:06 pm

Due to your success I fired up my '82 Honda CB900F the other day. I was shocked that it started relatively easily once I put a new battery in it, I hadn't had it running in 4 or 5 years. Put a new air filter in it yesterday. It still needs new mirrors and tires and I need to weld a broken strut on the fairing.

I'd like to sell it and get something in the 500-600cc range with an upright seating position. Its a good bike but too big for just running around town and the leaning over seating position is fun in the twisties but no good for long highway runs...

Fawteen

Postby Fawteen » Thu May 19, 2016 5:14 pm

Cool, Curt!

Pictures?

OBTW, the revving/idling problem was Operator Dumbass.

When I synced the carbs, I forgot to tighten the jam nuts that lock the slide adjustment in place...

Doh...

Fawteen

Postby Fawteen » Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:54 pm

Okay, it's officially "finished" (as much as any project bike ever is...)

Got the inspection sticker on it today and took my first legal ride. I'm happy, but I noticed that the master cylinder is weeping fluid from somewhere. Not the banjo bolt/brake line fitting, I suspect it's between the reservoir and the main casting, or possibly around the back side of the piston.

Easy fix, just ordered a new complete MC with a slightly larger (13mm) piston bore that will help the front brakes anyway. Comes with brake light switch wired and pigtailed, crush washers, banjo bolt, and lever. Bolt it on and bleed it.

Of course, one day when the budget can handle the strain, there's a bikini fairing and a set of spannies and... :D

curtludwig

Postby curtludwig » Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:19 pm

I spent today scrubbing and taking pictures. Bought Angie a DSLR for her birthday, it does a wicked good job.

New battery, air filter, mirrors, rebuilt starter clutch, replaced brake fluid. Finally found the broken fairing mount and fixed it so the fairing doesn't rub and pop anymore. Just needs tires and to get run some.

Found an '04 FZ6 on Craigslist. Similar bike to mine but smaller and lighter with a more upright seating position, want!

Fawteen

Postby Fawteen » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:40 am

Nice, Curt!

After all that work (and not a little money) I'm in the same boat you are. Suffering from a MAJOR case of the hots for a new bike. The antiques are cool, but modern fuel injection, brakes and suspension would be nice.

Yamaha is coming out with a new model, the SCR950 "scrambler". The scrambler designation is more about styling than actual utility, but the bike really speaks to me:

I have been working full time for a local contractor, driving truck. The paychecks from go directly into the Toy Fund, and I have permission from SWMBO to buy the bike. There will, of course, be SET (Spousal Equity Tax) to pay later, but whatever. The local dealer has one on order and I told them to put my name on it.

I'll be selling both of the old bikes. I'll take a bath financially as you always do when you restore a vehicle, but I have neither the room nor the inclination to store three motorcycles.

hansen

Postby hansen » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:57 pm

Dayum, you do good work.

curtludwig

Postby curtludwig » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:19 pm

Whew, how much does onea them run?
My father-in-law has a Harley with fuel injection, he hits the button and it starts right up, no playing around with the choke etc...

My Honda hit Craigslist today, I hate to do it, the parade of tire kickers annoy me but I shouldn't be keeping something I don't use... http://worcester.craigslist.org/mcy/5659957798.html

Return to “Shop Projects”