First Mod to New Tractor

Here we discuss projects and post pictures of projects

Moderator: Fawteen

Fawteen

First Mod to New Tractor

Postby Fawteen » Mon May 11, 2015 1:45 pm

I've mentioned elsewhere, but not here, that I've traded tractors.

The 1988 John Deere 750 was still going strong and was in very good shape for a 27 year old tractor, but was lacking a few modern features that were becoming more important as I...uh..."mature": No power steering, no live pto and mostly NO CAB!

After a much snowier and colder winter than we've had in a while, I got REAL tired of freezing my butt off blowing snow, so I bit the bullet, sold a raft of toys that I wasn't using (including the JD) and went ass-over-teakettle in debt for a new Kubota B2650.

Cab with heat and AC, hydrostatic trans, power steering, live PTO including a mid-pto and a really nice, fully adjustable suspension seat. Windshield washers and wipers front and rear, and a defrosting grid on the rear window. Nicer (and certainly more expensive) than some cars I've owned.

So far, I've only noticed two things that I'm not overly thrilled about:

1. My old 3PH backhoe won't work on the new tractor. The cab overhang means the seat won't clear, plus the whole rear is more compact than the JD was. After flip-flopping around, decided I was done with 99% of what I bought the hoe for anyway and rather than farmer-engineer a mount and possibly screw things up or kill myself, I decided to sell the hoe and just rent a track-hoe if/when I need one.

2. The "grille guard" that came with the loader is a joke. It might help if something fell straight down off the loader, but not much, and any sticks/twigs/brush would go through it at will.

So I rolled into town this morning and bought a couple of sticks of 1/4" rod and a small sheet of expanded metal.

The rod was heated and bent to fit inside the framework of the guard and then the expanded metal was trimmed to fit the outline of the rod and tacked to the rod.

Then the rod-framed expanded metal was welded inside the guard frame.

All the fab is done, now just need to prime, mask and re-paint.
What do you mean I can't do that?

Fawteen

Re: First Mod to New Tractor

Postby Fawteen » Thu May 14, 2015 3:55 pm

I grabbed a can of Krylon Farm Equipment Kubota Orange at NAPA. Must be for older 'botas, even I can see it ain't a match. The Bota Board says Rustoleum Lobster Red is virtually indistinguishable from the current Kubota orange, I'll grab a can next time I'm in town, but this will do for now.

curtludwig

Postby curtludwig » Mon May 25, 2015 1:38 pm

Nice!
I got dad over to the MF dealer the other day to look at a compact diesel. I wish I'd known you were letting yours go, it'd do everything we need. We'll never ever wear one out...

I've been pricing 'em and keep coming up around $20k for a basic 18-25hp machine with a loader and backhoe. I think I'm going to try to get dad to skip the hoe. We rented a trackhoe last year, $360 delivered for 8 hours of use. We had it for 3 days before they asked if they could have it back.

I do want to get a 4' bush hog to mow around trees with. My Super M is dang hard to turn when mowing...

Fawteen

Postby Fawteen » Mon May 25, 2015 8:05 pm

I've been pricing 'em and keep coming up around $20k for a basic 18-25hp machine with a loader and backhoe.

That's about right I think.

I wound up selling my backhoe as I just wasn't comfortable modifying it to fit the new Cabota. I've done everything I bought it to do anyway, and if I need a hole dug I have access to a full-size Cat or I can rent.

curtludwig

Postby curtludwig » Sat May 30, 2015 9:13 pm

I'm wondering if the backhoe is worth it considering the extra cost. Looks like most of 'em are between $6k and $8k.

My dad is in shopper's paralysis. I may end up buying it and keeping it here during the winter. It'd be more fun to move snow with than our snowblower and it'd be good for it to run in the off-season.

Johnson

Postby Johnson » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:57 am

Right on 14, and a cab taboot.
Controlled heat and lowering the wet factor
Is a good thing.

I like your mod and as a former Kubota guy I can only
Advise cleaning the radiator fins and screen very often.
The cooling systems are so small it is a critical care point.

I am looking forward to more mods.
One who has Imagination without learning has wings without feet.
JJK Haywood

Return to “Shop Projects”