Smart Battery Charger/De-sulfater

Here you can post tips, help others with sources of information, places to buy stuff etc.

Moderator: Fawteen

Red Dave

Smart Battery Charger/De-sulfater

Postby Red Dave » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:59 pm

A year or so ago, somebody on a forum (it might have been Johnson) talked about battery chargers that also will repair/de-sulfate weak batteries. Since I have done so much battery work over the years, I was curious. Besides, I have (at last count) 10 batteries around here to maintain. So I ordered one to see if they work.

I bought this one:

I used the repair function on the welder/generator battery last fall. It would not crank the B&S 16 horse I&C anymore and that battery was only 4 years old. Yesterday, I needed to use the generator and it started right up, first start of this year. It did have a battery maintainer on it all winter, but it also had a maintainer on last year when it went bad too. I called it a success.

This spring the 3 year old Cub Cadet mower battery wouldn't turn the V-Twin Briggs over, so I used the repair function on it. It has worked every time since. I count that as a success too.

I was frankly a bit skeptical when I bought it, but now I am a believer. To be fair, I should point out that these are both small batteries, not full sized auto batteries, but those can be a bigger pain in the ass than the full size ones. Also I ran the repair function several times on each of the success stories. If once is good, twice ought to be double good? I wish I could use it on 6 volt batteries too.

It wasn't cheap, but those little batteries aren't cheap either. I think I got my money back on the first success, so numbers two through whatever put me solidly in the black from here on out.

I don't know how long they will last, but if I get an extra year out of each of the 5 little batteries I have, I'm satisfied with it. I would recommend it to others.

Fawteen

Re: Smart Battery Charger/De-sulfater

Postby Fawteen » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:38 am

Interesting. Thanks for the report.

Available here.
What do you mean I can't do that?

Return to “Tips and Sources”